Friday, November 9, 2012

Push Thru It! Dealbreakers (or Short Hair and Da Box)



My Mom always says "Something must be going on in your life.  You cut (or colored or permed) your hair!" when I make my entrance with sheered, frizzed or out-of-the-box colored hair gone wrong based on my Zen belief that the good life follows good hair.  My recent cut, unprompted by life circumstances outside of wiry, poky, gray, mid-forties hair, set a new trend by foreshadowing the unraveling and cutting short of my 7-month relationship when my BF admitted that my now "short hair is something he overlooks about me."  I self-consciously pushed what was left of my impulsive decision behind my ears, asserted that men would like gorillas if they had long hair and jokingly donned a brunette ponytail hairpiece that barely gripped my short layers. 

Thankfully, my new BF and I shifted from superficial locks to substantive digs when he began detailing his plan to convert the back of his 18-wheeler into a home - Da Box, as he called it - when his living situation unravelled.  While we bellylaughed and rapped over Da Box (e.g., "KiDB  - K. in Da Box -  went to McD"), my short hair bristled as my "stable but not egotistical" BF predicted the beginning of the end for us and planned  innovative ways to cut windows in Da Box to see Da sun.  I narrowly focused on what I would tell my friends as he tried to convince me with Youtube videos of Cargo Container Living and unsuccessfully grip my hair in throws of passion.  

Anxiety, red flags and hair growing disproportionately, we tried to make Da Box and relationship work.   Unsuccessfully, or more likely successfully, we took a needed step back to focus on ourselves rather than place the onus on the other to paint a white picket fence, flowing, long hair pretty picture of our lives.  I will regroup and realize where I need growth beyond my "do," hopefully thinking out of "da box" and learning from my contributions to our demise.           

  • What do you need to overlook and accept about others in your life? 
  • What do your preferences, good or bad, say about you (e.g.,  in my case, I am more shallow than I thought)? 
  • What matters so deeply that you need to act and honor the values that are dear to you?  While your answers may mean hard truths, tough decisions, bit lips, loss, or painful growth, your behavior, should you accept the challenge, will allow you to love and embrace others and/or yourself more deeply and unconditionally.                        
P.S. I did not confer with KiDB in my one-sided interpretation of our relationship. So, like a vulnerable Rapunzel without her hair, I will accept perception as reality rather than seek candid feedback about my many faults yet.  Thanks KiDB for the lessons - and much success!  I will look for you on HGTV and think fondly of the person who makes crazy seem normal and normal seem crazy!  I am short-haired and likely short-sided!              


   



   

          

No comments:

Post a Comment